thomasinaknitsheader 2

Sunday, November 23, 2008

Sweet like chocolate

Paul's chocolat

It may just look like a cup of hot chocolate but it's actually the culmination of a 4 year ambition! I only realised that there was a Paul's on the top floor at London Paddington on my last visit to see Vics and Laurie. The nearest I'd got before was a sip of the stuff at Gare du Nord in Paris, that was all I managed before I knocked over the cup, spilling the stuff everywhere, and I was too embarrassed to go back for a second cup. It definitely compensates for missing a train.

pigeon

I think that the London pigeon is one of the saddest specimen of wildlife around and I saw one of the sorriest specimens on the tube this afternoon. It hopped on (quite literally on its one good leg) the train at Edgware Road and pottered round the carriage until we reached Paddington where it flew off. That's what I call an integrated transport policy. It reminded me of a scene in You've Got Mail:

"Once I read a story about a butterfly in the subway, and today, I saw one. It got on at 42nd, and off at 59th, where, I assume it was going to Bloomingdales to buy a hat that will turn out to be a mistake - as almost all hats are."

Perhaps the pigeon was off to buy an orthopaedic shoe.

On a cheerier subject I worked up a swatch for a pair of mittens in a cable pattern I've been wanting to use for ages.

mitten swatch

The yarn is one of my absolute favourites, Rowan Kid Classic in a colour curiously reminiscent of the wrappers of Milka bars. I'll have to come up with some chocolately pattern names.

3 comments:

Helen said...

Lovely colour! One of my faves (nothing to do with the chocolate association, honest!)
What's the cable pattern? Helen x

Anonymous said...

oooh lovely cable pattern - what is it ? (again) it'd make a great neckwarmer... Rx

Kyoko said...

I get awfully worried when things other than humans are in the tube. I just close my eyes and pray that it is OK when it happens. Oh, Kid Classic yarn is so great! What a beautiful stitches.