thomasinaknitsheader 2

Monday, November 03, 2008

A darn good job

darn good job

I'm pretty firm with work colleagues who angle for me to darn their holey elbows and catch up the edges of their frayed cuffs but you can't really say "no" to family, in this case my brother, especially as I bought him the sweater in the first place. I'm a bit nervous about how it will hold up as the fabric surrounding the hole was fairly worn but at least it will keep out the draughts.

I actually really enjoy darning. Quite apart from the aesthetic pleasure of creating a neat criss-cross of tightly woven threads where before there was a gaping hole there's something deeply satisfying about rescuing a favourite garment, turning something worn-out into something that's wearable again. It's only practicality that keeps me from offering to patch Dave's elbows or sort out John's cuffs. In an office of seventy people if I let it get about that I enjoy mending other people's clothes I'd never have a minute to knit.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Nice Mending!

Anonymous said...

I didn't even know you'd taken my jumper... good on yer!

Stevie X