thomasinaknitsheader 2

Wednesday, November 05, 2008

Sheep to shoe

BFL sock

My very first handspun sock is done and it's lovely. There's something incredibly satisfying about starting off with an amorphous cloud of fibre and turning it into something with a heel and toe that actually fits a human foot. I mean, seriously, this was just a bag of fluff!

Although I do have to say that when Ellen turned up to Bluestockings tonight with the mittens that she's making from handspun fingering weight I got a serious case of yarn envy. I really want to learn how to spin woollen (rather than worsted) yarn using the long draw method as at the moment my knitted up handpsun doesn't have a great deal in the way of drape. Maybe Ellen and I can figure out how long draw spinning works on the wheel when she's over at the weekend.

I also have the next item in my knitting queue all lined up after seeing Megan's beautiful Endpaper mitts. They're extremely covetable but as I've not quite sunk so far as half-inching other people's mittens I'll have to be content with making my own. Happily I already have one ball of Rowan 4 ply soft in a fabulous deep red and after trying Megan's on I know what size to knit too.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Great sock! I've been attempting to spin sock weight today.
Endpaper mitts are a really fun knit and red ones sound great.