thomasinaknitsheader 2

Friday, December 19, 2008

Home for the holidays

Last day at work today and boy am I ready for a break. As soon as it hit 12:30 I saved the half-finished email I was writing, put on the out-of-office assistant and headed for the Christmas lunch in the canteen. It was a very jolly meal and I snagged a great present in the secret santa lucky dip, The Corpse Bride on DVD. Sadly I don't know whether or not the recipient of my gift, The Tales of Beedle the Bard by J.K. Rowling, was chuffed as she turned out to be one of those hardcore people that won't open even their secret santa gift until Christmas day!

The train journey up north wasn't too bad. I caught an earlier train than planned to make up for the expected delays in Cheshire caused by some idiot who didn't put the handbrake on properly on his 4x4 yesterday or, as the ticket inspector put it, "dropped a car on one of our trains". The first half of the journey was fairly lively - the lad sat opposite me was watching The Running Man (that 1987 Schwarzenegger classic) with one of his friends without headphones. Sadly I couldn't see the screen but I could hear the audio track. I was amazed at how much of the plot I remembered given that I saw the film once about 17 years ago (what were my parents thinking letting me watch that at such a tender age?) - it must have made a very deep impression. A quick look at Wikipedia informs me that the film (which involves convicted criminals fighting for their lives on live TV) is set in 2019 - well it does look as though reality TV will be headed that way by then.

No bloggable knitting today although I got tons done on the train. It's amazing how much you can get done when you're just knitting round and round (and round and round).

Click on door number 19 for today's advent image

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I hope you get a lovely break with everyone. You deserve a wondrous break!

I can only agree on the amazing speed with which rounds knit up when you are sat and continuously knitting. I am making great progress on my first sweater after a couple of high-focus sit'n'knit sessions.

Happy Xmas xx