thomasinaknitsheader 2

Friday, September 04, 2009

Holiday knits

Shetland striped mittens

Whilst on holiday I finally figured out what to knit with my two balls of fingering weight Shetland from Garthenor Organic Pure Wool and acst on for a pair of striped, flip-top, mittens. Although I was knitting them on the train and in Geneva at the end of our holiday where the temperature was in the high twenties I think that the thought of warm woolly mittens was inspired by our trip to the Mer de Glace near Chamonix where a pair of gloves really would have come in handy. I love the natural look and feel of the organic Shetland yarn. You can really pick out the individual fibres and imagine the raw fleece or even the sheep that it came from, so unlike an anonymous merino.

2 comments:

Felix said...

Your gloves are going to be beautiful and I couldn't agree more on the point about how lovely it is to know what you're knitting with.

I think the garthenor fingering weight yarn is delicious.

Jeannette StG said...

Ah I found another knitter! Came over from another blog. You do very nice even work -I still need to accomplish that LOL
And I read you were in Geneva - that's where we had our vacation once. Happy memories with our then little kids, and steep prices!! We had American friends who lived there (we are Dutch) and could go into their apartment, because they were on vacation somewhere else.