thomasinaknitsheader 2

Thursday, June 12, 2008

Bifflicious

I've just plied the first 50 grams of the Blue Faced Leicester Humbug Tops from Wingham Woolworks and I'm pretty darn chuffed.

Navajo plied biffle

For a start I can't believe how quickly it spun up - I only started on it yesterday evening.

Navajo plied biffle

It's such a pretty colour too and really soft. I've already got an idea for what hat I want to knit with it. It's from the Louisa Harding book Hats, Scarfs and Gloves and has a big cable and loads of reverse stocking stitch to show off the yarn.

Navajo plied biffle

I Navajo plied it as I really wanted a aran weight yarn and thought I had a better chance of getting that with a three ply. I still can't spin really thick singles yet. I don't think my plying is quite by the book - my loops are much longer than 7 or 8 inches - but you can make much longer loops with a drop spindle. With a wheel you'd have to keep moving your chair back!

Navajo plied biffle

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

oooh - that looks like lovely wool! Very impressive spindle action...