thomasinaknitsheader 2

Thursday, August 31, 2006

Finished Objects - Jaeger alpaca socks

In a fit of inspiration I finally finished off the second "Patsy" sock on Tuesday evening. Given that I cast this on during extra time in the England–Portugal game this sock has been hanging around on my needles for a long time. I think the reason it took so long is that the yarn is so light and fine that the needles (3.25mm dpns) seem disproportionately heavy and so the inactive needles are always pulling on the stitches. However, it was worth all the discomfort as I've been wearing them all day and they are super cosy and a lovely fit. I should probably me a little depressed that it's cool enough for alpaca socks already on the last day in August but actually I'm thinking "bring it on!". I already have plans to knit the "Birch Leaves" socks in the remainder of the grey alpaca. I had planned to do these with the green baby cashmerino but it's just too chunky really. On Wednesday evening with the support of the Bluestockings I finished knitting and cast-off the 720 stitches of the first half of the potato chip scarf in the Be Sweet mohair. After wearing my half a scarf home and trying it on with the jacket I decided that I wanted to knit the double ruffle scarf so picked up ninety stitches along the short edge in the chocolate mohair. I'm so happy with the way it's turning out that I may knit another one as a Christmas present. I think either a single ruffle in the same yarn or a double ruffle in a (slightly) cheaper yarn. Keen as I am to support independent yarn stores, I'm not that keen.
On the pottery front the pig has been picked up from the Pottery Café (thankyou Sara) and we may be reunited next week. I'm very eager to see how it's turned out after the firing.

No comments: