thomasinaknitsheader 2

Monday, June 15, 2009

The big reveal

Patchwork blanket

At last - I can show off what some of the Bluestockings and I have been working on for the past few weeks. A patchwork blanket for Aliki's baby.

Pattern: Garter squares blanket
Source: Baby knits for Beginners by Debbie Bliss
Yarn: Debbie Bliss Cashmerino Aran (and a bit of cashsoft)
Needles: 5mm
Modifications: 10 row garter stitch log cabin border.
Knitters: Abby (pink), Clare (yellow), Ellen (border), Felix (peach and burgundy), Kirsty (yellow and green), Liz (me) (blue and border), Megan (aqua), and Sarah (beige) - sorry I can't remember who contributed the brown squares!

It's been lovely doing another collaborative project. It was very exciting receiving people's squares either in the post or in the pub and trying to work out how they should all fit together. Then, once all the squares were sewn together and all the 200 odd ends darned in it was very satifsying to add the dark brown border which kind of ties it all together.

I presented the blanket to Aliki this lunchtime along with this from me:

Cardi for Peter

Pattern: V necked cardigan
Source: Baby Knits for Beginners by Debbie Bliss
Yarn: Rowan Handknits cotton
Needles: 3.75mm
Ravelled: here

It's turned out very nicely and it looks to be a good size for the baby but I need to remember in future that I do not like knitting in cotton. The decreases and seams are always so bulky and there's a complete absence of the squish factor.

5 comments:

Sarah said...

Ahhh doesn't it look fab??

Did she like it?

x

Felix said...

It's so exciting to see it all put together! And your cardigan is just gorgeous.

Kate said...

so lovely!

Lien said...

Wow, the blanket looks awesome. Good job weaving in all those ends!

Liz said...

Cheers - I was *so* happy when I wove in the last one I can't tell you.