thomasinaknitsheader 2

Wednesday, May 09, 2007

Very good news - Project Baby Porter

A month or so back I learnt that I'm going to be an aunt for the first time in October/November as my sister is having a baby.

I have (with great difficulty) been sitting on that news (and on my needles - ouch!) until I learnt on Friday that she had been for her 3 month scan and had got the all clear. I wouldn't quite say that I rushed home that minute and started swatching but it was close to that. The next day I popped into the library and picked up Baby Knits for Beginners by Debbie Bliss and And So to Bed by Lucinda Guy. I really want to make the Otto Owl Toy since seeing it on Alison's blog and I love Rowan cashsoft.

Speaking of which: PBP:FO-01* Boatneck sweater from Baby Knits

Boat neck sweater

Obviously the specified yarn for this was Debbie Bliss Cashmerino Aran but I just so happened to have two and a half balls of Rowan Cashsoft Aran** in a really great soft brown***. It's a very straightforward pattern (see the title of the book), basically a couple of rectangles with sleeves but I'm pleased that I made a really nice job of the blocking and finishing. I think that this is the first time that I've really blocked carefully before sewing up and with this kind of yarn it makes a big difference.

PBP:WIP-02

V neck sweater - back

Also from the Baby Knits book a v-neck cardi with contrast rib at the edges knit in Debbie Bliss cotton dk in light blue and (erm) a slightly darker blue. For some reason (possibly because I don't want to impose crappy knitting on my sister or her unborn child) I have turned into a much more meticulous knitter. I swatched with the specified yarn and needles and was one stitch out over 10cm. If this was for me I'd have just said "oh sod it" and carried on. But for BP I'm swatching on smaller needles and liking it. I've even done 4x4 garter stitch borders. Sadly I will probably have to rip my two swatches when I start knitting the project per se as DB (unlike Rowan) doesn't seem to allow for swatching in her yarn allowances. That's not a criticism though as it is a bit galling when you get to the end of a Rowan pattern only to find that at least one of the £6 balls of yarn seems to have been there just in case.

* Project Baby Porter: Finished Object - 01

** Bought for the boyfriend when he said he'd like a hat and then it turned out he was being flippant. No I haven't forgotten about that one yet.

*** I guess we're on gender neutral knitting for a few months yet - I can always add pink/blue trimmings later if required. Personally I don't see why boy babies can't wear pink and girls blue, but it must get tiring for the parents always to be saying "No, she's a girl actually" so I suppose it the colour-coding serves some purpose.

No comments: