thomasinaknitsheader 2

Monday, July 10, 2006

Stash Yarns


I made my first trip to Stash Yarns on Saturday and could not have had a nicer time. The shop was light and welcoming, the owner (Nathalie - I think) was friendly, knowledgeable, and helpful, and the selection of floor-to-ceiling yarns was amazing. In addition to the baskets of sample skeins in baskets on low tables with chairs (so you can sit and knit) there are also knit-up projects such as a gorgeous Clapotis in Lorna's Laces Lion and Lamb, a cardigan in the Colourmart cashmere and socks in Koigu so that you can see what the yarn will look like when knitted. After about an hour and a half of browsing and fingering and knitting a couple of rows on the sample skeins that are ready cast-on and browsing again, I finally came away with:
1 skein Lorna's Laces Shepherd Sock in Jeans: I think that this should be sufficient for a pair of short ankle socks, possibly the Jaywalker socks from Magknits. The owner did warn me that she thought that one skein might not be enough but I plan to knit them toe-up using the >magic cast-on which I finally mastered at the weekend.


2 skeins Koigu in a bubble gum pink: I'm not entirely sure what to knit with this. I had thought I would use any Koigu purchase to knit Baudelaire (despite being terrified at the thought of those cable increases) however it might be just that little bit too pink.


1 cone Colourmart cashmere in lilac: I was so glad that there was a knitted example of this in the shop, otherwise I might have hesitated to buy it as it really doesn't look or feel at all cashmere-like on the cone. However, it gets softer and more fluffy with every wash. I'm going to knit a baby's cardigan with this, using the kimono pattern from The Baby Knits Book by Debbie Bliss and adding a ruffled shawl collar and sleeve edgings.


No comments: