thomasinaknitsheader 2

Sunday, November 14, 2010

I *heart* BXL

BXL mosaic

Just got back from a somewhat damp but otherwise delightful trip to Brussels. Whilst the boyfriend was attending sessions at a conference I spent time exploring the city on foot, window shopping, and drinking more hot chocolate than is really good for me. I really like Brussels - it's such a pretty city and every other shop sells either chocolate or waffles (yay!).

Brussels highlights included:
  • exploring the Cathédrale Saints-Michels-et-Gudule including a photography exhibition by Jean Revillard.
  • drinking tea and eating berry meringue pie whilst knitting in the museum cafe at the Musees Royaux des Beaux Arts. The pictures were good too.
  • seeing rose necked parakeets in the Park de Bruxelles - so cute.
  • wandering round the Grand Place whilst eating a gaufre de Bruxelles - nom!
  • drinking hot chocolate in Laurent Gerbaud chocolatier whilst knitting. I even managed a short conversation about my knitting in French.
  • buying birthday presents for my niece in two really nice shops - the children's section of Tropismes (very browsable bookshop) and Grasshopper (lovely toyshop). Buying children's toys is so much fun.
  • drinking more hot chocolate in Cafe du Vaudeville in the Galeries Hubert with the boyfriend. Sadly I'd already consumed my recommended daily allowance of gaufres so couldn't justify ordering one of the very exciting, plate sized waffles on the menu.
  • finishing the Millennium Trilogy (halfway through the chunnel on the way back) - just in time to see the third film at the cinema. 

3 comments:

tinebeest said...

Woohoo! BXL rocks :-)

Yes, it was a bit damp... There were massive floods not too far from us, after more than 24hrs of continuous rain. Looks like you got away lightly with "damp"

No beers???

Moggle said...

You really can't go wrong with hot chocolate and waffles. Sometimes the food is the best part of going away :-D

Glad you had a great time.

Sarah said...

Oooh fabulous! I've starred this in Google Reader. Brussels is in my top 10 places to visit, and it's wonderful to have some tips.

I'm glad you had such a nice time.