thomasinaknitsheader 2

Tuesday, October 14, 2008

Elementary

Elementary swatch

Yarn: Artesano Alpaca Inca Cloud
Needles: 4mm
Stitch gauge: 28 stitches = 4 inches
Row gauge: 24 rows = 4 inches

A swatch and a little basic maths and we have the germ of a sweater pattern. I had the idea for this at lunchtime, mulled it over during the afternoon and picked up the yarn and needles for swatching from Port Meadow after work. Of course it is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data but I'm seeing a v-neck sleeveless cardigan, possibly with a pocket or two. Just the thing for striding around Dartmoor after spectral hounds.

You know you want to see the back.

Elementary swatch - back

So neat.

I worked up the swatch at the Jam Factory knitting group this evening and had a very jolly time although it wasn't the ideal project for group knitting as I had to keep breaking off from discussions of gauge and blocking to check that I wasn't mucking up the pattern which is deceptively tricky at first. At least with over 200 stitches to cast on I should get the hang of it after the first row or two!

No comments: