thomasinaknitsheader 2

Monday, June 11, 2007

New WIP - PBP-03: Top-down raglan cardi

Top-down baby raglan

I bought the yarn for this in the Rowan sale at Whittaker's some time back. I had a pretty good idea of what I wanted to do but hadn't got any further on than sketching it out and knitting a gauge swatch. The thing that was holding me up was that whilst I had measurements for chest, armhole and height to shoulder for a baby sweater I didn't have a neck measurement and couldn't work out how to get one (short of going up to random babies with a tape measure).

Yesterday, feeling somewhat socked-out and not having another project on the needles*, I pulled out the yarn and the notebook and decided rather than worrying about it any longer to "Just do it!". I worked out the neck measurement from a similar necked cardi in one of the Debbie Bliss books (turns out it was quite easy to do) and once I'd got that I fairly raced along. I'm now on the third stripe below the armholes with about 5 to go, then I just need to knit down from the top of the sleeves and knit two button bands. The sleeves are looking a little bit wide at the top at the moment (think wizard's robe style) but I think they're OK and they should look more normal once I've done the decreases. Besides babies need lots of arm room for squirming and gurgling right?

* Actually I did have Print O' the Wave on the needles, but then I took it off the needles so I could knit this on my Lantern Moons.

Sock washing day

For some reason this image reminds me of Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs. There was jst nowhere else to dry the handknit socks.

Sock washing day

I don't know if there's room for 10 (count the socks) dwarfs in the bed!

No comments: