thomasinaknitsheader 2

Friday, March 02, 2007

Yarn cakes

Lots of knitting news and events since I last posted. First off there was the first great Oxford Bluestockings wind-off at Katie's a week last Saturday. Huge thanks to Katie and her husband for inviting us all round and being such great hosts. Everyone had a great time. We knit, we looked at pattern books, we balled our skeins of wool using Katie's ball-winder and Swift, we drank lots of tea and ate lots of cake. It was fantastic. The afternoon finished with a mass yarn swap (see the yarn heaped table below!).



For a while it looked like no-one was going to swap any yarn as we were all too polite to grab the yarn we wanted, however, once we got going everyone either got rid of all their unwanted stash to a new home or found something which would allow them to make something out of that half ball of Kidsilk Spray. I came away with a ball and a half of mauve Matchmaker 4-ply which is destined to become my next pair of Falling in Love socks, 50g of a pink variegated miscellaneous DK weight yarn, 50g of greeny/pink boucle and I think something else though I can't remember what for the life of me! I wound my Helen's Lace and Schaefer sock yarn into gorgeous yarn cakes. Three of us teamed up to separate Abby's hank of Brora window display cotton into three separate plies which were then wound individually. Everyone oohed at everyone else's newly wound stash. I am now really coveting my own ball-winder and Swift - still only ten months to Christmas!

No comments: