thomasinaknitsheader 2

Thursday, February 01, 2007

Good weekend, sad day

Good weekend...

The Kiri shawl is done and done. On Sunday morning I soaked, squoze and blocked it whilst listening to the Federer-Gonzalez final of the Australian Open. Normally I wouldn't dare to leave a cream angora shawl pinned out on the bed all day (things just get flung there from the doorway too much) but the boyfriend was away for the weekend and I wasn't going to be around either so it could dry in peace. Once the shawl was all stretched out and pinned into place I checked that my ticket was in my bag (about ten times) and headed off to...Islington, home of Loop and Arsenal football club. I made my way there via Oxford Circus (for a quick stop-off in Liberty) and the Victoria line to Highbury and Islington, which it turns out is much more convenient for Cross Street than Angel. Plus you get to walk down Upper Street and drool at the meringues in Ottolenghi: no time for those today but maybe next time. I bought some gorgous Blue Sky Alpaca in an oatmeal colour sportsweight (although I have no idea what sport you might do in this stuff, other than sweating for England!) for a pair of cable socks. I can't wait to knit with this stuff it's soo soft.



Finally, on to the main event of the day. Arsenal vs. Bolton Wanderers in the 4th round of the FA cup. The Emirates Stadium is just magnificent, I do not have enough nice things to say about it. They have this...



...just outside the ground and all the seats (even in the away section which is not behind the goals as in most grounds) are padded. The bloke in front of me said he felt like he was at the cinema. Sadly I didn't get to enjoy my padded seat for most of the second half, at least not after this happened...



...after that we were on our feet for the rest of the match, even when Arsenal equalised.

It was a great day out and I look forward to our next fixture there.

..sad day

After 2 years our knitting group may have to leave the lovely café where we have met up to knit and chat every Wednesday evening. We had just grown too numerous for the space and it seems like it's time to move on.We'll miss the excellent date and ginger flapjacks and the friendly staff. I'm sure we'll find another place to meet soon but in the meantime it all feels a bit uncertain.

No comments: