thomasinaknitsheader 2

Saturday, February 25, 2012

Something for the galanthophiles*

Today we took advantage of the lovely sunshine to do something very seasonal and very British. We went to look round a garden. But not just any garden. Welford Park is open for just 28 days between late January and early March as part of the NGS so that people can enjoy its amazing display of snowdrops. The website promises a "magnificent carpet of snowdrops" and it doesn't disappoint. Even walking from the carpark to the entrance I saw more snowdrops than I'd ever seen in one place before.

Welford Park

There are snowdrops all over Welford Park. Along the sides of the paths, in the rose garden, on sunny banks but the real star of the show is the snowdrop wood. It's breathtaking, like it actually snowed.

Welford Park

Welford Park

I had a great time playing with my new camera. I love the zoom lens and the macro function.

Welford Park

HD snowdrops.

After the snowdrop wood we visited the tearooms for delicious homemade cake and tea.

Welford Park

Welford Park

Being married means you get to share your husband's chocolate cake.

You can find all the snowdrop openings at the NGS website. If you've not made plans for tomorrow or next weekend and you're in the vicinity of Welford Park or any NGS snowdrop garden I thoroughly recommend a visit.

* i.e. an expert on snowdrops.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

That is so amazing! I'm definitely going to have to go snowdrop watching next year (I'm afraid I've probably lost the window of opportunity this year).

Lara said...

That looks fab! I have been to Anglesey Abbey near Cambridge but there weren't as many as in your photos. Will let Mrs Lara know as am sure she'll be keen to go. xxx

millefeuilles said...

I am so happy I stumbled across your blog. Of all the flowers I like the snowdrop holds my affection the most as it heralds the start of spring. To see a carpet of snowdrops is truly magical. Here in France we get carpets of cyclamen early autumn: pink and white and very pretty too.

Warmest wishes,

Stephanie

Felix said...

Beautiful snowdrops!