thomasinaknitsheader 2

Tuesday, January 01, 2008

First footing

I took a little break from post-Christmas Christmas knitting to knit the first pair of baby practice socks from Cat Bordhi's New Pathways for Sock Knitters.

Little Sky Socks
Yarn: Rowan Cashsoft Baby DK
Needles: 3.25mm

Little Sky Socks

These, needless to say, are going straight to baby Laurie (my lovely new niece). I don't suppose she'll appreciate the revolutionary sockitecture but they're very soft and warm for her little feet.

I've also got in some work on the Anya sweater today - apparently the cold weather's coming and I'll be needing that cosy mohair. I've finished the front up to the funnel neck and I'll be working that as soon as I've finished the back ribbing (as I've only got the one 3.5mm needle with me).

It's been a very educational holiday for me. I've learnt how to make the almond icing for the Christmas cake, how to steam a pudding, how to change, bath and bottle-feed a baby and today Mum showed me how to knit 1, purl 1 the English way with the right needle under my armpit which makes moss stitch a whole lot easier. I managed to get the hang of it pretty well but I'm sticking to my non-traditional method of knitting for the rest of this sweater as I don't want to have gauge issues.

Photos of (hopefully) a finished sweater front tomorrow!

No comments: